King Kutter Reverse Tine Tiller - 72in.W, Model# RTG-72
Agressive Ground Prep Tool
This tiller was purchased to keep my Pecan Orchard (1 acre) free of weeds and grass. I like just a dirt-bare ground appearance. Was concerned that my Case Farmall B Tractor was not powerful enough (41 hp / 32 pto) for the 6 foot model but it performed perfectly. Had to adjust the skid feet to keep the depth at about 3-4 inches. The factory adjustment has it digging in at 8 inches which it will do effortlessly because of the rear tine action. Makes the ground look beautiful and I can do my 1 acre in about 3 hours. Here are Issues that arose so you can be aware of, but it really does not affect this excellent Implement for your tractor:
1. Your Owners Manual is attached behind the tines on the back plate underneath the tiller in a plastic envelope.
2. The PTO Shaft in the picture is being shipped by a different manufacturer. This shaft required that the attachment bolt be removed to fit on the gear spindle, then attached with a nut. Also, the PTO Shaft cover needs to be worked by a Dremel tool to enlarge the two plastic grease fittings to get your gun to fill the inner bearing surface with grease. Finally, had to use a Zip Tie to attach one of the Safety Chains that broke the plastic attachment point. We used a SpeeCo Quick Hitch attachment which added about 3 inches to the length so we did not need to cut the PTO shaft for fitment issues.
3. The Black Plastic Guard that prevents debris being thrown back at you cracked in the middle and got sucked into the tines the second time I used it. No damage to the tines or gears as it had to be unbolted and removed. Replaced with a 3/16 metal 6 foot x 6 inch strip.
4. The quality of the paint is not that good, so get a can of Catepillar Yellow to keep on hand for touch ups from shipping as well as rock chips from the tiller action.
5. Make sure you have a couple of bottles of 85 gear oil as there is not enough oil in both gear boxes and need to grease the zert at the end. Our zert fitting broke and had to be replaced before we were able to use it.
Finally, I am very impressed with the quality and performance of this tiller, EXCEPT I am not sure if I would order a Rear Rotation Gear again as opposed to the Front Rotation units because if the immense amount of dirt and debris thrown back at you and your tractor. I am covered head to toe with dirt and have to wash down my tractor as well after every use.
May 30, 2014