Mobile Engine Testing Station
Wel-Bilt Mobile Engine Testing Station - Review
To begin let me say that the reason I became interested in this product was because of the fact that I have two Jeeps, two pickups, 4 large mower engines, (e.g. Kohler twin 25 HP Commercial) and 3 generator engines with dead generators on them. A lot of money tied up in engines that aren't doing anything.
I had this testing station 4 months before I ever assembled it, because I thought that it would be difficult to assemble and work with, and I also could NOT envision setting an automobile engine on it.
Finally, upon retirement, I decided to make it work or throw it away. My first engine choice was a 1.6L engine from a 1994 Suzuki.
Difficult to access a lot of areas with the engine in the vehicle, I thought if I could access, diagnose and repair/replace these items the testing stand would pay for itself. The Suzuki had been setting up 3 years.
First concerns were noise and heat. I chose a small corner of the garage and set up a semi-permanent hoist to pull the engines out. Some would be with transmissions attached and some without.
Next I added 4 things to aid me in testing equipment on the station:
1. A medium sized radiator with various connectors.
2. An amp meter for the battery/alternator.
3. A muffler outside the garage, modified with flexible pipe and different sized clamps to fit different sized exhaust pipes.
4. An adjustable fuel pressure regulator mainly for fuel injected engines, I also installed the universal fuel pump the manufacturer recommends, which I hooked to the fuel pressure regulator.
Let me state here that, as the manufacturer shows in the manual, none of these additional items are necessary, they merely added to the fun of my creation. (Also, I am now fully retired.)
The instrument panel now included an amp meter and a fuel pressure gauge.
After wiring everything up, and making a few minor adjustments, I pulled the engine from the Suzuki and mounted it to the Testing Station. I was able to touch any place on the engine I needed to. I found several problems I repaired, and after adjusting the valves, rolled it outside. I thoroughly cleaned it (after covering appropriate components with plastic and tying them down.), and gave it a coat of engine paint.
I then degreased and power washed the engine well on the Suzuki. I replaced some wiring, and put accordion covers on the rest, fastening most to most to fender and firewalls.
Then a good coat of paint, allowing it to dry, and slipped the engine back into the Suzuki. After hooking everything back up I was almost afraid to try cranking it. While the engine was out I pumped all the old gas out of the tank and put about a gallon of fresh in.
When I cranked it up, it started right off, then missed a beat, and settled down to a purr. I could scarcely believe it!
Since then, I have repaired or rebuilt two of the big lawnmower engines, and two of the generator engines. I am getting ready to remove my Ford V-8 and go through it.
In closing, I can not say enoughy good things about this Testing Station. Without it, I would have scrapped or sold all the engines that are now running. The station paid for itself on the first engine. It takes a bit more time to pull and engine from a car or truck (almost nothing for a mower or other utility type) but you find things you had no idea were bad, and you can degrease, paint, and rewire or patch wire like a pro! All my thumbs up for this piece of equipment.
April 23, 2013