Hurricane Products Propane Cast Iron Stove - Double Burner, Model# 63-5200
A few flaws, but a great stove
Before I start to quibble, let me say that this is a truly GREAT stove, head and shoulders above any of the propane burners I've used. My wife loves it, and has already convinced a friend to buy one. Even with my complaints, I still give it five stars.
...But there were flaws:
1. In the back of the main cast iron housing there are threaded holes for securing the burners. I doubt the threads were created during the casting process, they were likely cut later -- they were cut poorly, or maybe it was the heavy black paint applied to all the cast iron surfaces. In any event, the threads were very crude. I was able to force one bolt into the threaded hole, but the other one was impossible to insert. Luckily I have a tap & die set, so I chased the threads in the hole and on the bolt as well, but in trying to force the bolt I'd "hogged out" the hole a bit, was forced to tap it for a larger bolt. If you have a tap & die set, I'd recommend – before you insert these two large bolts – that you tap the holes gently to chase and clean the threads. If you don't have taps, try a little SuperLube or petroleum jelly and gently screw the bolt in and out to smooth out the threads a bit -- I think that will make assembly easier.
2. The paint stinks while the burners are “curing”. We’ve been using the stove heavily for two weeks, and the smell is still pretty bad. I think it’s getting lighter, but I sure wish it would go away completely.
3. Of the six burner controls, only four are used to clamp the gas manifold to the main housing. The hardware list says there are just four machine nuts to clamp these four burner controls, and the pictures show only four nuts…but there are EIGHT nuts. There’s no clue as to what the extra nuts are for. I assumed I was to use a second nut on each control as a locking nut, so I followed the directions for the first one on each control, and used two wrenches to tighten and lock the second nut in place.
4. A minor point – some cast iron parts had small patches that weren't fully painted. No biggie.
5. Another minor point – there are supposed to be six flat black washers (one to secure each burner to the housing, one to secure each leg to the housing). I only got two. Again, no biggie, I just used four washers from my misc hardware bin.
So after all my complaints, why did I give it five stars? Because my problems were all pretty minor, easily overcome, and you really have to use this thing to believe how good it is. We’ve used it at three different altitudes, from 750 feet up to 7,500 feet, and the the air-intake adjusters work perfectly – we were always able to adjust to almost pure blue flame, just a tiny yellow tip, and virtually no blacking of the pans. You have total control of the flame in three separate areas for each burner. We could use just the small inner circle to heat a coffee pot without scorching the handle, and we could use all three controls to cover the entire bottom of a large skillet. We could get a three-gallon kettle boiling in just a few minutes. This thing is marvelous.
My wife is short, so sitting up on the counter I built for her on the deck, it was too high. I drew an outline of the stove on the countertop, cut a hole, and dropped it six inches onto a shelf, so the control knobs are about 30% below the counter surface, and the burners are just a couple of inches above the surface. I cut a piece of galvanized steel to go on the shelf under the stove to catch drippings or spatters, and put two coats of polyurethane clear-coat on the countertop. It’s better than our home stove by a long shot, and easy to clean. I just can’t say enough good things about this stove.
July 17, 2013
Great Stove - you won't be disappointed.
This thing is built to last. It was easy to assemble. The controls are simple to use. The center knob controls the center ring, right knob controls the right side of the larger ring, and left knob controls the left half of the larger ring. I mention that because it works perfectly with my griddle, which does not go completely end to end. It too short, so I am able to keep the two outer halves of the large rings off and it heats the griddle without any flame on each end. Prevents flares from splattering grease. Also, the heat is significant so start out on low because it's hotter that you're used to. This thing boils water in no time.
July 4, 2013
The stove was easy to put together and all parts fit. I first operated this stove outdoors with temperatures in low teens during late January. The stove performed excellent in the cold, windy conditions. I had no problem fitting 2 large pressure canners on top to can my sauerkraut. Wishing I had this stove 30 years ago as we "put up" over 700 jars of fruits and vegetables every year.
February 24, 2013
Mobile kitchen propane gas grill
Anyone looking for a stove that will do it all for a mobile application WILL NOT be disappointed. We took this unit on a camping trip to test it out and made a gourmet chicken Marsala dish that was the bomb of the trip. Best feature of the unit is its ability to regulate the BTU @ 35,000 per side. This works especially well in cold climates where outside temperatures can be at freezing and below. Try boiling water with an ambient of freezing outside, this unit will do it! No negative comments on this stove, only positive!
December 31, 2012
this double burner is the best, heavy ,solid and works great. here in hawaii, the burners you can buy are junk. they last about amonth if your lucky. northern tool is the best company in the US. the items they sell will not fail you. so please dont think about it . just buy from them. you wont go wrong. customer service is the best. they no what there talking about, and they want to help you. im very happy with northern tool, thanks clay
August 21, 2012
Great for canning
This burner will get plenty hot for canning. Other burners just don't put out enough heat for the large (23qt) pressure cookers.
May 7, 2012
High Quality, Sturdy, and Performs Well
I bought two of these units to use outside and they work very well, even in the breeze. We built wind blocks which help, too. Large amounts of liquid heat quickly. The 3 control knobs for each burner are great to put the heat right where I want it.
They're heavy which is sometimes awkward, but it's a fair trade off for the sturdiness.
October 10, 2011
Cast Iron Stove
The stove performs very well. Since it's cast iron, it's a little on the heavy side. The only problem I had was that it requires a 11" WC regulator which is not included. This adds an additional cost to the unit.
June 13, 2011
Excellent 'Spaghetti Feed' Stove
We needed a high output stove 3 years ago to cook for our Church's annual 'Spaghetti Feed'. This comes out and gets the 300 meals done with out any problems... I expect to own it forever...
June 10, 2011
Perfect for outdoor cooking
I've used the Hurricane propane cast iron gas stove for cooking anything I don't care to cook in the house. Fish, my famous crab cakes, home made french fries, amoung many others. It is heavy duty and I usually use cast iron pots and pans on it. Each burner has three control valves and the flame height and heat control rivals that of any high end gas stove. It is also perfect as an emergency standby in the event of a power loss since my kitchen stove is electric.
May 25, 2010