FREE SHIPPING - Northern Industrial Tools 6in. Cutoff Saw
Great overall quality with an issue...
A recent NT email had this chop saw and it looked better than the others I have seen so I gave it a chance. Upon arrival I set it up and looked it over.
Build quality is very good with steel or cast aluminum in all but the motor housing. The vise worked well and the quick release also works great. I never tried the miter. I made a test cut on a piece of 1" sq. tubing. The power was good and the blade guard worked slick without any issues.
Sadly it consistently cut 3/16" shorter on the top side with each cut. I placed a piece of 18 ga. 1.5 wide flat strap in the vise vertically and made a test pass. It too was shorter on the top side and much easier to see it was cut at an angle. The blade is not square with the table. I looked at the saw and there is no way to adjust the angle or fix the issue. Either the pivot pin hole was drilled out of square or the saw body is not square.
I am debating now to return it for another one or just use it as it is since I know the problem and can allow for it. For such a well made tool it is disappointing that it does not cut square.
October 1, 2014
I was going to give the saw a 1 star but tried a better blade (Dewalt) and it works pretty good. It was able to slice thru 7/8" hex 1018 ... with the new blade. Throw the blade that comes with this away and get name brand blades.
August 16, 2014
"Perfect" for what it is (small & portable)
Having worked with "BIG" (and heavy... ugh), metal-chewing and big kick 14-inch blade Chop Saws in the past, this little chop saw is a great addition to my current modest needs in the home shop. A surprisingly nice addition to my metal cutting arsenal.
• Very light and easy to carry with one hand (and still walk upright and not torque your back), but substantial enough to have a solid and confidence-building build (I like the cast / machined base as opposed to the pressed steel you often see.)
• Motor gets up to speed fast and the pivots are all functionally tight without play during cutting operations
• Fits on back of small welding Mig Cart (I use a small wire-feed 110v unit without gas so this fits in the tank area on a OSB platform cut for easy schlepping - see photo)
• Cuts what I need to cut (mostly under 1.5" material)
• Price is right!!!
• Has built-in spark baffles on base and toward back
• Blade guard works well, is smooth and does not hang up or get "stuck" in certain positions.
• Angles are easy to set and securely lock (be sure to use a real square or angle guide and don't rely on the embossed angle measurements)
• Cuts are accurate and clean (due I am sure to the smaller blade size and high RPMs) and blade rotates without wobble.
• Quick Release is reliable and holds work securely (but not the best or fastest QR mechanizm I have seen) - Quick Release base is part of the cast bottom so you can't adjust the position of attachment which is fine for a saw of this small size.
• Came with extra set of electric motor brushes
• Power Cord is 6' long :)
• Small footprint for small workbench or quick sawhorse bench applications
• Cut Speed adequate for my home-shop needs (1/8" thick and thinner) (won't take heavy "push" on material you are cutting as it will bog down... as one might imagine and other reviewers have pointed out... good quality cut-off wheels are a must to maximize performance)
• Build quality is just fine for my needs (and the color is pleasing to my eye anyway and is same as what is on the item listing)
• Base is cast (aluminum?) with rubber feet and threaded attachments for motor and guard.
• Fence is steel, stout enough and straight
• Unit has a "lock down" for transport and a threaded cut-depth adjuster with lock nut.
• Unit arrived in original packaging box with styrofoam cast spacers around product, all put inside another box from Northern Freight so the UPS handlers did not inflict any damage to the product and it worked perfectly right out of the box.
What do I do with oversized metal? Just flip the metal around and cut from other side to get all the way through :) — Plus you can manually lift the guard to line up your second cut from opposite side very accurately.
Final verdict? Recommend if you needs are for small jobs, limited material sizes, small shop areas and limited budgets. If your needs are heavy use or thicker material, go to a 14" size with a big motor.
June 11, 2014
NEVER EVER BUY THIS PRODUCT
If they had negative stars it would be -5. I wish I never bought this pile of junk. Rather use the hacksaw than waist my valuable time trying to make this MISTAKE OF A PURCHASE make a decent cut.
July 17, 2013
I see that NT has the blades now, but otherwise they are available at other local stores as well (problem fixed!). In any case they are inexpensive.
The gripes: Changing the blade is more of a pain than it should be, needing 2 tools (included) plus a fiddly little phillips screw that holds on the shield. Seriously considering removing the shield permanently!
Its capacity at 45 degrees is roughly 1" wide, and then only with a new blade. It will handle 2" wide with a 90 degree cut (cuts 16ga tube steel easily).
There is no light, and it really could use a laser to mark cut.
While it is FAR better than cutting with a hack saw, I'd suggest looking at its bigger brothers for only a few bucks more, unless you're SURE you will only need to cut small stuff. This might be more accurate than the bigger units.
January 26, 2013
Why-oh-why did I not buy one of these years ago?
Got this tool last week and I've already used it quite a bit for cutting tubing (1" square) and thin bar stock (1/8x1-1/4), it works well for the most part. Might be considered a little underpowered by some, but if used correctly, it does the job. Cuts nice and straight at 90 deg. As noted earlier, it does cut a little goofy when cutting square tubing on an angle (due to the taper on the clamp plate). This can be corrected by bending the clamp plate to vertical. I believe it was designed tapered so it will hold the part down while it's cutting. Only one issue (hense 4 stars), the blade guard bottoms out on the bottom plate before the part is completely cut thru. I will probably just grind it back a little so I can cut 1-1/2" square tubing in one pass. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with this thing. Sure beats using a hack saw.
November 12, 2012
This product works great I would recommand this cutoff saw to anyone
October 15, 2012
Perfect for All Thread
I had some plumbing mains to hang and needed a better way to cut all thread than a manual hack saw. After combing the internet and finding a bunch of expensive options I stumbled on this. It works perfectly and doesn't cost a lot. The clamping system is perfect for 3/8 inch threaded rod.
From time to time I also do railroad tie work and I'm looking forward to trying it out on rebar.
July 13, 2012
Northern Industrial 6In. Cutoff Saw
We looked all over the internet for a quality chop saw, bought several from other retailers and returned them because of quality. When this saw arrived I was pleasantly surprised of the quality, we use this saw to cut steel and graphite golf shafts, it works great! Defiantly will look to Northern Tool in the future for other purchases!
May 8, 2012
It's the best tool out there for pipe of up to size 1 1/2" diameter. It's great for pre-cutouts, which means cuts of pipe or tube which are yet to be installed. Beats Milwaukee's Hackzall as far as speed on pre-cuts goes. I love this tool. Would recommend to anybody. Just be sure not to tighten the knob too tight. The secure mechanism is enough for a small pressure on the knob. Other than that, it's one of my favorite tools.
I do electrical installations and sometimes help the plumbers who come around the house. This tool does the job quickly, safely, and neatly. I use it also to cut flexible metallic conduit, since it's a little difficult to work with. This tool is great for FMC, as well as EMT, RMC, and galvanized pipe.
Also, it's so light you can carry it with you. It's lighter than Milwaukee's 18V cordless hackzall.
August 3, 2011